CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 2, 2010

We made IT!!

Well folks I am happy to say that James and I have survived 3 weeks of living away from home. James has survived not only that but VERY intensive physical therapy each of those days. We have celebrated a birthday, gotten hives, grieved with fellow housemates over the loss of children and met some friends that we will hopefully have for a lifetime. It has been an adventure and I am very happy we did it. James has made great progress and I am so proud of him.

I think I have told him so much how proud I am of him because everytime he finishes a task he will now proclaim " I did IT! I proud of you!" I am so glad that he understands that Mommy is alway in his corner cheering. Even if i am asking him to work so very hard his little legs are shaking I am cheering him on the whole time. How I wish with every fiber of my being that I could just "fix" all this stress he has to go through, but I truly do feel that from this James will do great things. God has a plan for this kid. I am just honored I get to watch it unfold!!

So lets talk a little bit about todays therapy session. The first 30 mins I came SO close to just grabbing my baby up and driving home. He was clingy and cried as I watched hives break out all over his little body. It BROKE MY HEART!! But then during a little Mommy break he asked for some of my ice. I gave him some, and it calmed him down. He kept asking for more and I just gave it to him. Well the therapist started working with him and ijust kept pumping the ice in his mouth because it wasnt crying. He walked 10 min on the treamill, no crying...more ice. He knee walked to his canes, no crying....more ice. He walk across the room using the best steps he has used so far, no crying....... give this child as much ice and he wants!!!!

The PT brought in one of the ladies that specializes in sensory issues. She explained to me that James is sensory seeking ( which we knew) After his surgery and the nerves were cut his little nervous system has taken quite I shock. And because of this his sensory system ( part of the nervous) is also in shock and trying to calm its self. I had known this because St. Louis talked to us about it before surgery. Well we have tried weighted vest and lots of other things but apparently James need the oral input. And the hard crunching of the ice is giving him the vibrations in his TMJ bone that is soothing to him. And then causes him to be calmer and more himself. It was like someone has flipped a switch with James today. He was his happy and calm self during the rest of his therapy. He actually got some of the best steps in of the 3 weeks. It was amazing and what "chompin" on ice did for him today!!

2 comments:

Anonymous

He likes "Sonic" ice like his grandmama!! ha!

Holly

Glad you found something to help calm him! Who woulda thought ice!?

Post a Comment