Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Week # 3 and the ER

The "little room" this is the room that you just dont want to be in. and especially if you are away from home. But Monday afternoon this is where James and I found ourselves. James woke up that morning just not himself at all. He was cranky and sleepy and refused to eat anything at all. When we got to PT that morning, and I put him in his walker, he could barely take a step. We thought that he might be just a little sore at first, but as the morning went on we realized something was wrong. James couldnt clear his toes when he walked and was loosing his balance even while sitting. And he was complaining that his neck and head hurt. The PT and I agree that he needed to been seen. So she set up for us to go to the Children's Hospital after hour clinic.  and that is where this picture was taken

 James was also starting to show symptoms that were really scary. See his left eye here. It had wandered out so far to the left that the doctor at the clinic was very concerned and she sent us directly to the ER. They called and had us preadmitted when we got there. On the way over to the ER I glanced at the report she sent with us and it said "Possible case of Meningitis" Well needless to say my foot hit the gas a little harder.
 When we got to the ER they took us right back and had 2 doctors waiting to examine James. One was the infectious disease doctor :-( After both doctor have James a physical exam they told me that they are going to run bloodwork but they were 90% sure it was NOT meningitis. But they were still concerned about his eye and the other symptoms. So they ordered blood work and a CT scan. 
 CT scan came back perfect ( well as perfect as a kid with CP can) and the bloodwork confirmed that it was 100% not meningitis. I  can now breath! But they did discover that James was dehydrated and having severe muscle spasms. So they push some fluids in him and sent us on our merry way. They wanted us to have the PT check him out the next day and make sure his symptoms were gone.  
James woke up a different child the next morning! He was happy and wanted to eat. We went to PT and did some much lighter work.
 The PT's kept commenting on how James was better.

 It was such a relief that he was moving and acting more like himself

 See the little dog on the treadmill? That is Prince. James wanted him to go first :-)
So that is how Week #3 started out. I am happy to say it is going much better now. We are making DOUBLE sure that James is getting lots and lots of fluids that have electrolytes in them.



They can sure scare us, the little monkeys . I knew he was all right because your Mom let me know but I was praying hard for him the other night. Happy all is well. Blessings Sandra

Post a Comment